Subject: [Leica] APO SUMMICRON 75
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Apr 1 22:11:22 2005

Hey... read again.....  The words APO and ASPH are marketing hype.  They did
sell some lenses through this, and are obviously hoping to sell more using
the same words.  But words are just that: Words.  Results are what counts.
Modern technology including len design and today's optical glass
availability is much superior to the past.  Yes, the more modern lenses will
be more highly corrected.  But don;t think that the words ASPH or APO mean
anything significant, especially when put into a marketing document.  Go by
results.

BTW, in historical ( or what I remember) reverse order... 75/2 ASPH APO;
50/1.4 ASPH, 90/4, 90/2 APO ASPH,  28/35/50 ASPH, 28 ASPH, 135/3.4 APO.
Before that there was the 35/2 ASPH, 35/1.4 ASPH, 24/2.8 ASPH, and 21/2.8
ASPH.  It is clear that the words ASPH are part of the new product lexicon
now.  They have hardly missed a beat on the last 11 M series lenses.  The
missed beat uses the other mystery word, Macro.  Macro in a 90 mm RF lens:
I am already on record for the stupidity of this marketing / business
choice.

As to the balance issue.....   We do not know yet how the lens "balances"
compared to a F1.4 or anything else.  Yes, you might be right: it might be
great.  But it might be even more marketing hype.  I happen to like the way
the 90 AA and the 75/1.4 balance with the camera in my  hands.  YMMV

What I do agree with is that lighter is better.  But I also state that the
extra F stop is or can be the dominant decision maker.  For me, it is more
important than ultimate lens performance.  I am the one that bought a 35/1.4
pre-ASPH lens because of the weight and speed.  Optically inferior to its
ASPH brother, but also a fraction of the weight.

The 90AA is a great lens, and when compared with its earlier brother, is a
great lens.  Mainly because the 90 is not all that great on its own.  It
would have been easy to beat.  Having said that, the 90AA is a lens that
stands on its own.

Be patient, save up your bucks, but do not decide until there is some
independent and unbiased user data to help make your decision.  Better yet,
try it out before you are sold on the lens.  That cuts through the hype.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

> The Summilux has a very shallow DOF wide open, is heavy and physically
quite
> large (think Noctilux). Plus its not every day that Leica produces a lens
that
> they label APO and ASPH!
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

While the present 1.4 75 is a kind of a "cropped Noctilux".
The new one coming out is a "90 APO ASPH with some breathing room." or
"on steroids"
angle wise not size wise.

Or "A more humane 90 APO ASPH"

I'd bet the APO ASPH was one of Leica's better sellers as of late.
They may have actually made some money off it. Paid some bills.
The slow collapsible macro f4 not going over so well. Not that I'd not kill
for one.
They'd rather emulate the better selling one.
Times being what they are.
I'd take the new 75 over the 90 macro.
Make a nice bookend with my 90 APO ASPH.