Subject: [Leica] OT: Computers
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sun Apr 10 15:30:20 2005

Roger Bunting wrote:

> I'm going to have to purchase a new computer. I have
> no experience using an Apple computer, but since my
> photography hobby is demanding hours of scanning,
> editing and more dedicated computer support I'm
> thinking that this is the time to make the move to
> Apple.
>
> I've been looking at the Apple iMAC G5 1.8 17" monitor
> and 1GB RAM. I've been a Paint Shop Pro user for years
> after prior experience with Photoshop, but suppose now
> I would have to move back to Photoshop Elements 3.0.
> I'm also supporting a Nikon CoolScan 4000 for my Leica
> work and some direct digital capture.

You will be very happy with the G5.

You should invest in a monitor calibrator (I use the "Spyder") which
will create an ICC profile (used directly by OS X) to display the
colors you intend to.

I have an Apple Cinema Display HD 23" but if you have the $$, consider
the new Dell 24" monitor ($1200), in which case you could instead get a
PowerMac G5 (the iMac is the perfect choice if you are sure you will
stick with a 17" screen). Any of these monitors will calibrate with a
hardware device.

The big win of the Mac (IMHO) is that excellent video editing software
comes bundled with the computer. You can probably have a look at iPhoto
(bundled) as well. Alternatively consider GIMP which gets rave reviews
and is *free* on OS X. I would use any of these over PSP or Photoshop
Elements  although I am a Photoshop CS user myself.

Jonathan