Subject: [Leica] OT: Computers
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sun Apr 10 15:48:02 2005

I work with both PC and Mac (Mac since 1985), and have experience with
Unix, Irix, Solaris, Amiga and other systems, and I'm not satisfied with
all of them; and all new systems are still way too stupid and too slow -
neither they are able to recognize my voice correctly or to remember my
habits, nor to start up and drive down immediately. When I studied
informatics 23 years ago at the university of Berne, I was told by our
professors that those features would be the standard in year 2000. True! :-)

Beside this I'd say Macs are easier to use, seen from the interface, and
seen the fact that OS and hardware are from the same producer. But this has
it's price, at least when you want more than a mini-mac. And better buy a
5-keys-scroll-wheel mouse, because the Mac's one-key-mouse is useless.

PC's need more user handling (installing anti-everything softwares, tuning
and fiddling around with peripheral devices and drivers); but are way
cheaper and offer more choice in peripherals and software (this is more for
the special, particular software, the main software packages are mostly
cross platform).

Myself I prefer PC's because of the cheaper price, and fiddling is no
challenge for me; but for one that is not so PC-savvy, a Mac could be the
better choice.

But what's important is how you master the software - Photoshop or whatever
- and how good your output is. By the way, don't we know that with cameras
and photographs :-)?

Didier

Replies: Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] OT: Computers)