Subject: [Leica] Macro Comparison Leica V. Yashica
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 12 22:12:26 2005

On 4/12/05 9:33 AM, "Douglas Sharp" <douglas.sharp@gmx.de> typed:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Only one third Leica and no Rollei at all. It may , however, be of
> interest to those of us who like optical excellence whatever the source
> may be.
>

> 2 full-frame shots: taken with a Macro-Elmar 4/100mm and a
> Yashica ML 2,8/55mm Macro both at f8, Canon 20D at ISO 100, tripod
> mounted, daylight.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/Leicaf8_full_frame
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/CY_full_frame
> 2 centre crops from the same shots
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/Leicaf8
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/CY_f8
>
> I think that the resolution of the Yashica is superior but the clour
> rendition of the Leica is better (richer).
> Just to make sure that the lenses were comparable they were both
> cleaned, front and rear elements, before taking these.
> I ran the test through 5 times and got the same results for f8 and for
> other apertures, refocussing each test series to eliminate any possible
> focussing errors, and picked the best of each run. Maybe I got a duff
> Elmar, this difference in quality is surprising to say the least.
> Cheers
> Douglas
>
> BTW it's a Miners Safety Lamp

Boy oh Boy Doug and yous guys!

The thin plane of focus on the macro Elmar shot is at the far right edge of
the frame.
Its certainly to the right of the "S" of "lamps" and the "8" of the " B/28"
I'm not even sure that true point or total plane of focus is even IN the
frame.
It just might be on the right half of the "8" itself but my hunch is its a
tad in front of it. Towards us.
In the air.

The focus with the Yashica shot is further left on the "P" of "lamps".
The "m" is behind the plane of focus
And the "S" is in front of it.

So if we then look at THAT area in the macro Elmar shot we think its
"sharper" then the macro Elmar. If we didn't look at the rest of the shot.
It's not where the very narrow plane of focus IS on that shot.
It's way to the left of it by the distance of 2 or 3 letters or numbers in
the shot.

The DOF in such a shot is about an 8th of an inch as we can see.
    a shot on a curve like this illustrates such a thing.

I cant believe this crazy test has got all you guys fooled!  :)

On a test like this you'd have to bracket your focusing to make them both
match up. But it could easily be done with some bracketing. You barely
breath on the lens to change the focus by several millimeters. You just look
at it funny and it will shift a full letter over.
:)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon