Subject: [Leica] Re: B.D. PAWS (Ted Grant)
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Mon Apr 18 17:35:02 2005

I don't want to awaken a sleeping dragon here, but...

I don't understand how a "drunken unfortunate lying in the gutter" is
any different from the subject of any other still life posted here.

Visually speaking:
Poorly done is just poorly done.
Artfully done, it might well better the many "family member across the
dinner table" snap shots we so often post here.

Socially speaking:
"No bums?"
Are we denying the wino or bum the ability to make his own decisions
and his own humanity, or are we merely sweeping aside a group of people
we are not comfortable seeing?
Do we see ourselves as taking advantage of subjects incapable of
defending themselves? Personal preferences and taste aside, I fail to
see the essential photo subject difference between a sleeping infant
and a bum in the gutter. At times they match each other even in odor.

Forthwith:
Week 15

http://gallery.leica-users.org/PAW-2005/Week_15

I don't know if he is drunk and homeless passed out or a student
napping before his bus to his next class.

Maybe you can tell me.

Ric Carter

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Re: B.D. PAWS)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: B.D. PAWS (Ted Grant))