Subject: [Leica] Myth and the Man
From: buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner)
Date: Tue Apr 19 17:46:11 2005

Well, lots of people hate to be photographed for a variety of reasons,
some of them are photographers.  Regardless, Karen, you are perpetuating
another undocumented Cartier-Bresson myth (like never cropping an image,
never posing a picture, never using flash, using only a 50mm lens, &
cetera).

I am quite familiar with the literature by and about Cartier-Bresson,
and I am unaware of him ever saying that he "hated" to be photographed.
Indeed, there are a great many pictures of Cartier-Bresson.  See in
particular, "Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Man, the Image and the Work."
Back in the Sixties, "Popular Photography" even ran a photographic essay
of Cartier-Bresson at work in New York's China Town which was prepared
and published with his cooperation.  It is true that he cultivated his
anonymity which he claimed made it easier for him to work unobtrusively.
Nonetheless, I suspect that when he worked in Africa, for instance, he
was about as unobtrusive as Leni Riefenstahl.  I find neither hypocrisy
nor irony in his known opinions.

        Buzz Hausner