Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 12:09:31 2005

In 1929, very soon after Leica was born,  Leica began producing  right-angle
finders so that photographers could look elsewhere but point their  lens at
the subject. Production of improved versions of this device continued  for
10
years and are still being used today. In fact, I have one but have used  it
only
once or twice, a very long time ago.

As far as I'm concerned, the Golden Rule should apply in taking
pictures...do unto others as you would have others do unto you. I agree with
 Karen
Nakamura: very high ethical standards should prevail.

   Remember, Jackie Kennedy? She took a photographer to court for  pestering
her and taking her picture and her childrens' picture and, of course,  she
won.
   Body guards of famous people have regularly broken  photographers'
cameras
and, on occasion, have roughed up cameramen. I'm sure  there are many, many
other examples.
  These people have less protection because they are considered public
figures. Normal people, however, are entitled to consideration unless they
are
involved in public events, like a parade, a demonstration, a political rally
or
some such event.

    How would you like your photograph being taken while  picking your nose,
scratching your behind or touching your crotch? Of course, if  you stick out
your tongue, you might be fair game --it the photographer is  quick.

   If, before snapping, you ask yourself how you would feel if  you were the
subject of the photograph, you might think twice before taking the  picture
you have in your sights.

   The fact that Eugene Smith, HCB or Weegee did whatever they  did a very
long time ago is --today -- irrelevant.
   The fact that your picture , after getting permission,  might looked
posed
is irrelevant.
   The fact that you might not get the picture you want is  irrelevant.
   The fact that some people expect to be paid is irrelevant.
   What is relevant is that times have changed and  photographers --along
with everyone else -- have to change with the times.

   All of this seems to be so obvious that it seems to me to be  almost
self-evident...bob cole

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Photojournalists and permission)
Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Photojournalists and permission)