Subject: [Leica] Re: - Proprietary formats
From: patrick at photo.net (Patrick (Washington, DC))
Date: Wed Apr 20 17:48:38 2005

this is/may the single most stupid and ill-informed decision Nikon has ever
made. When there is a
general trend/move towards industry standards they are doing a 180 away from
common sense.

>From what I understand (and I do work in the software industry) it is not
>the the NEF format that
is the problem it is the encryption part, i.e. one could 'easily' brake that
encryption but then
one would brake all types of agreements/partnerships, perhaps even laws.
Adobe doesn't not want to
be taken to court over this, I assume.

A larger question is raised around the viability of Nikon's algorithms,
perhaps they have come up
with something that is "better" than everyone else and they don't want to
expose the code, but
perhaps more damaing would be that they are trying to hide something, that
the imaging does not
meet up to the competition without Nikon's propriatary tweaking/adjustment.
Who knows? The only
thing that I know is that the users/market/analysts does NOT like
uncertainty and if the
perception (the most important marketing tool in the world) is that Nikon is
circling the wagon
and/or trying to hide something...

My expectations is that Nikon will do a 180 on this. Without any
explanation, like always.

Patrick