Subject: [Leica] A First
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Apr 21 12:45:01 2005

At 2:29 PM -0400 4/21/05, SonC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 4/21/2005 6:04:40 A.M. Dateline Standard Time,
>abridge@gmail.com writes:
>
>On  4/21/05, Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> wrote:
>>  In the  US the Prius sort of makes sense, if you drive a _lot_.
>>  Mainly, you  get the benefit of driving a car which is somewhat more
>>  socially  responsible. In Europe, turbodiesels, which are a huge
>>  portion of the  market, make sense. The premium you pay for a diesel
>>  car is less than  the premium for a Prius, diesel fuel is cheaper than
>>  gas and there is  a huge choice of a lot of models from all
>>  manufacturers. Some get  substantially better mileage than the Prius
>>  and many handle better or  have other features.
>>

>In Louisiana, currently the price of diesel is 10 cents higher than
>gasoline.  We looked hard at the VW TDI, and I almost bought one,
>even  though they
>were stingy with their markdowns.  In the end, I got a  comparably equipped
>Prius for less,; they get about the same mileage on the  road, and
>of course the
>Prius beats it in town.  But it finally all came  down to one thing.  Kathy
>loved the color on the Prius!
>
>Regards, Sonny

Exactly!    -  See my other reply to Adam

In NA diesel doesn't make a whole lot of sense, particularly since we
can't get the good fuel, the low-sulfur diesel, at any price. In
Europe if you weigh the options, the Prius is the poorer choice. The
playing fields aren't level.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design