Subject: [Leica] Re: Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 22 14:04:54 2005

On 4/22/05 8:38 AM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> typed:

> I'm a real odd man out on this size thing - not that that will come as a
> shock to anyone. While I do occasionally do 13x19s, I tend to prefer
> small prints; my standard print size is apx 8x5 or 8 x6 on an 8.5x11 or
> 8x10 sheet. I believe that smaller prints force the viewer to "come in,"
> to really look at the image, where larger prints push the viewer away.
> When I did my book of photos of people living with diabetes, I beat the
> client and designer into making it really small - about 5.5 by 6.5 - and
> they ended up loving it. But I know most photographers think any good
> image has to be printed BIIIG....

Me I think 8x10 or anything close to it is not small.
To me that's a default standard.

Although the average photographers portfolios I've ever seen has always been
averaged out at 11x14.

I started cutting down A3's to 11x14.
My favorite paper, Epson enhanced matt comes very prominently when I walk
into the camera store in A3 size.
That's 11.7x16.5".

And this way I can have darkroom prints and inkjets in the same portfolio.

The only way I'm going to get a box, book or anything for A3's it seems is
to order them from England. A3's are recognized there.
Not anywhere near here.

My portfolio now, my first in a decade is a 5x7 inch book.
A black PRAT made in Paris book.

Its nice became I have it with me more.

Mark Rabiner
Photography