Subject: [Leica] A First
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Apr 22 15:05:58 2005

At 1:44 PM -0700 4/22/05, Adam Bridge wrote:
>There's a lot of work being done in the fuel-cell and similiar
>technology spaces.
>
>In the world of submarines it's called "Air Independent Propulsion".
>There are many routes being explored, especially by EU nations.
>Although the massive amount of electrical power needed by a submarine
>for propulsion and operation isn't required for something like a car,
>there is lots to be learned by building at the larger scale and then
>working down.
>
>New and more efficient solar cells are continuing to be developed with
>both lower production costs and better conversion efficiency. And the
>biologists might have some technology too in future decades.
>
>In the short-run we just have to be more efficient and figure ways to
>boot-strap to a different technology and different way of thinking.
>
>I have serious doubts that the current administration in D.C. is
>thinking at ALL so we'll have to do it in spite of them.
>
>Adam

Conservation has to be our main concern at the moment, as it will
reap the greatest rewards in the short term. For that to be effective
we have to modify our demands and expectations, which means changing
human behavior so it might be one of the most difficult things,
barring a sudden catastrophe.

Here in Vancouver we have Ballard Power, one of the prime companies
involved in developing fuel cells. For better or worse, mostly the
latter :-(, I have had Ballard stock for a while. The proctical
implementation keeps getting pushed back.

The solar electric cells are still, for the most part, a feel-good
technology as the life cycle costs are generally a lot higher than
the power savings costs, even in things like building integrated
technologies where the solar panels replace some of the building
components (thus replacing that expenditure). Solar panel shingles
exist, as does solar panel spandrel glazing. Unfortunately the
cheaper, amorphous silicon cells are the less efficient ones as well.

This makes sense for things that are off the grid, but anyone who is
on the grid is better off economically by a serious factor to leave
solar power alone (at present). Also, the environmental impacts of
production of the solar power cells and components is rarely
addressed.

In my architectural practice I've dealt quite a bit with solar power,
both hot water systems and electrical generation systems, but while
they are useful for remote locations and some of the many islands
around here, they generally don't make much sense where you can get
BC Hydro power outlets. Changes in tax structures and production
methods, as well as solar power advances will change that, but it
will still be a while.

Meanwhile, the sustainable heretofor wasted energy that is cost
effective in many cases is geothermal energy in conjunction with heat
pumps. We have many instances of that being used successfully here.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] A First)