Subject: [Leica] (was Coenen) now: buying Leica new vs. used - now whatever
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Apr 23 01:48:34 2005

I have a cultural aversion to buying new. I have bought my last 3 cars
second-hand and anticipate to only buy second-hand in the future.
Example: in 2000 I bought my current car in Switzerland. The price of a
new one was 32,000 CHF; the one I bought was 10 months old, had 2 years
and 2 months remaining on the factory warranty and had been driven
11,000 km. I paid 21,000 CHF for it at a local dealer. I have a strong
northern-European cultural preference for letting someone else take that
initial depreciation hit ;-)

Closer to on-topic, the last three sales of Leica equipment I have made
were to a guy in the Philippines with a Chinese-sounding last name, a
guy in Hong Kong with an Indian-sounding name, and a guy in Singapore.
So the alleged antipathy against buying used is apparently not a
pan-Asian phenomenon.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman