Subject: [Leica] OT: 35mm film cameras
From: bonvini at optonline.net (Jay)
Date: Sat Apr 23 09:24:52 2005

Not quite true.
Hi-speed cameras (frame rates over 150fps) had a tendency to sometimes over
heat, but not your normal production cameras.
Actually, Panavision cameras come with a heater for cold weather to insure
proper lubrication of the gears and motor.
And with 35mm camera bodies being so expensive (you can not even buy
Panavision, only rent) folks would be a tad bit upset if they went through
multiple bodies on a show.
Having been a Panavision and Arriflex technician in my somewhat checkered
past, the only cameras I saw quit on a shoot had been abused, batteries
died, bodies dropped and even one where a plane struck the camera on take
off (remote camera - no operator). Even one where the operator had a battery
die and decided that since it was 12 volt - he would hook it up to his car
battery and run it that way. Well, he swapped the polarity and burn out
every wire in the body, which gave off acrid fumes which etched every
bearing surface (except the jeweled bearing) requiring a complete rewire and
rebuild. Very expensive.

No, these bodies are very robust.

Jay Ignaszewski
203-372-5900 home