Subject: [Leica] OT: 35mm film cameras
From: bonvini at optonline.net (Jay)
Date: Sat Apr 23 10:00:52 2005

I think with Lucas' move towards all digital, a lot of folks are following
suit.
The issue becomes one of distribution as the average theater owner is
looking at costs of converting their projection systems as being in the
neighborhood of $100,000. The studios would save untold millions in print
costs if they went all digital, but distribution and security become issues.
It is coming, but how fast will be the question.
Is the major studio willing to underwrite the theater conversions? Do they
see the return on their investment? Hard questions. Remember, the theaters
make their money at the concession stand.

I personally like the look of film, always have, but if I can get the same
look from 4K digital files then I can be swayed. It would be much easier in
the post production chain to be all digital, capture digitally and finish
digital. As it is now capture analog (film) and scan, then the post chain is
all digital until the final film out. With the advent of digital
intermediates (DI), more and more films are scanning to digital and then at
the very last step are going to film for distribution.
I did like the look of "Collateral" captured using a mix of film and hi-def,
scanned, posted and then out to film. Not sure they would have been able to
get the look of LA at night any other way.

Jay Ignaszewski
203-372-5900
917-519-1919