Subject: [Leica] Umbrella Thingie
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Sat Apr 23 19:23:33 2005

Mark - Many thanks for the comments, particularly regarding the
importance of the foreground.  I did try pulling back and cropping.
The droplets were better focused but, because I was further back, I
could not see so much of the underside of the leaf as I wanted.  I
would have had to dig a hole to get the camera low enough, which I
suppose I *could* have done, but it was drizzling and, besides, there
are limits! :-)

Because of the small sensor, the usual depth of field effect of small
gains ahead of the focal point and bigger gains behind as you stop
down, is enormously magnified.  At f11, were I took the picture, it
was almost impossible to throw the background out of focus even at
the closest focusing distance and "28mm."  It's almost enough to
drive me back to my Pentax and close up bellows.

The more I use the Digilux 2 the more I seem to run up against its
limits.  I've been thinking about an *istDS.

In the meantime, my almost brand new M7 sits unused in the drawer...
(sigh!)