Subject: [Leica] Umbrella Thingie
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 23 20:26:58 2005

On 4/23/05 7:23 PM, "Richard S. Taylor" <r.s.taylor@comcast.net> typed:

> Mark - Many thanks for the comments, particularly regarding the
> importance of the foreground.  I did try pulling back and cropping.
> The droplets were better focused but, because I was further back, I
> could not see so much of the underside of the leaf as I wanted.  I
> would have had to dig a hole to get the camera low enough, which I
> suppose I *could* have done, but it was drizzling and, besides, there
> are limits! :-)
>
> Because of the small sensor, the usual depth of field effect of small
> gains ahead of the focal point and bigger gains behind as you stop
> down, is enormously magnified.  At f11, were I took the picture, it
> was almost impossible to throw the background out of focus even at
> the closest focusing distance and "28mm."  It's almost enough to
> drive me back to my Pentax and close up bellows.
>
> The more I use the Digilux 2 the more I seem to run up against its
> limits.  I've been thinking about an *istDS.
>
> In the meantime, my almost brand new M7 sits unused in the drawer...
> (sigh!)

You had it set to manual focus right?
I can't recall but it strikes me that lots of zooms let you get closer and
get a higher magnification at the wider not telephoto setting. I do have one
lens which is the opposite of that and I'm not sure the deal on that with
the Noctilux II.

That not being the case as it would seem you would have found that out do
they make a Dioptor close up attachment for it. I've seen all kinds of
attachments for the fronts of the digital point and shoots tele and macro
extenders I'd assume macro might be another category which would work out
well and sell.

Yes it's the smallness of the sensor which everybody complains about but it
sure comes in handy for some things. This being one of them. Macro.

Well there are such things as "impossible shots".

Unless one wants to get more gung ho about macro.
Which is a phase I seem to be going through. Sticking enlarger lenses on my
Viso and getting a Hassy bellows and a tube.

Before all I had was Dioptor lenses for the front of the lens.
So called "close up filters" a misnomer I guess.
Leica talk for "ELPRO" I think. Which has more than one element putting it
in a hugely different category than the predominate one element models.
Eyeglasses if you ask me.

And a 105 Nikkor 2.8 which went down to 1:2. And is nothing to sneer at
Leica lovers that I/we are.

Now I read the rest of your post I thought I'd read the whole thing and I
see you have indeed set your camera at 28 and have a bellows and camera to
fall back to.
Or up to.

Time to bring out the big guns some shots deserve.
I'd say this one did. Great shot!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon