Subject: [Leica] Wide-open, of course
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Apr 25 16:10:40 2005

On 4/25/05 11:44 AM, "Daniel Ridings" <daniel.ridings@edd.uio.no> typed:

> Hand-held, Neopan 1600 @ EI 3200 (Xtol 1:2), M2 35/2.0 Summicron (an
> older one).
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album08/05v15_0074
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album08/05v15_0075
>
> Last evening of a 5 day workshop. My presentation was on the last day
> (the hours after the last evening).
>
> Daniel
> http://www.dlridings.com/paw2005/16.html

You are lacking some (any) tone in the shadows indicating to me that the
stuff in the background is fooling your meter. Or you're letting it!
They defiantly look a stop under although it could be in your scanning and
or "printing" to monitor. Would need to see your negs to know for sure.

I just feel I have to defend your results as your technique:
film-developer-dilution is darn close to what I do.
Oops! I'm just now noticing your shooting it at 3200!
Well! To me that explains the whole thing.

As I shoot tons of Neopan 1600 in Xtol 1:3 instead of your 1:2 which is
close enough. And it comes out right on the money. At 1600.
None of this stretched out pushed underexposed tri x from the 70's look you
are almost emulating here. :) To slightly exaggerate.

>From all I can tell Neopan 1600 in most developers and certainly Xtol is a
true 1600 film.
That's TWO stops faster than tri x! Two Count em two!
And with results with Xtol which beats the results I used to get with Trix
rated at 400 in D76 1:1 or 1:2.  And certainly when I'd "rate" it at 800.

Have you got other shots which give credibly to your pushed one stop ASA?

Because these indicate you are under exposing everything by a full stop and
maybe you should consider going back to the number on the box, ISO 1600!

Indoor shooting with a 35mm Summicron lens to me is a breeze at ASA 1600.
I don't find myself hurting for an extra stop all that much that I can
recall.
And my stuff looks not at all underexposed. Like my "pushed" stuff used to
as well as everyone else's.

The separation in my low tones just jump up and bite you on the face!
No retro 70's nostalgia!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon