Subject: [Leica] MP vs. M6 noise
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Apr 26 08:01:27 2005

MIKIRO said:

>> I am one of those who have too much time for noise. :-)
>> IMHO, such dilettante fetishism is an important niche for Leica to
>> survive. No one has ever rivaled and will probably will beat Leica
>> in
>> this field. Noise meters for Leica are pH meters and whatever
>> laboratory
>> devices for wine. A repair person in Asakusa Tokyo can change
>> shutter
>> curtain material to make your Leica sound and feel as you like. I
>> respect such work. I love that feel in my hands which I would
>> describe
>> as tapping a rosewood table with ivory chopsticks... :-) Human ears
>> and hands count more than anything else.

Mikiro san,
I've used M cameras of various models for 40 years or near that in work as a
professional photojournalist and at the moment I use 3 M7's and an old M6
and I've never related to the sound they made until I joined the LUG.
Neither did I have any hassle about the viewfinder flare that also seemed to
be a great bother to others. Just move your eye slightly and it's gone!

My job day in and day out was doing documentary assignments, so I never had
the time to fondle and click the camera's because they're merely tools and
not some expensive bauble in my hands.

Over the past half dozen years on the LUG this noise topic has raised it's
supposedly ugly head many times and it's still a non-issue with me where
ever I shoot. Simply because I'm too busy concentrating on the picture
taking and not some little click that we hear because the camera is close to
our ear as we shoot. But rarely do others hear if they're engaged in
something useful

However, given there's a whole new breed of "clicker-clatter" users on board
these days I thought maybe some one might like to waste their time, get a
noise meter, go to a church bang off a bunch of clicks and measure the
sound. Then tell us how good or bad it is!

In that way we could save a bunch of time reading all this whining and
comparing noise to noise and use the time to much better use taking
pictures!

Do you not agree?

ted

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] MP vs. M6 noise)