Subject: [Leica] digital transformation
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Apr 28 04:16:17 2005

Don

For me it's now film 95%, but was 100% digital a few years ago.

I was a SLR/darkroom enthusiast since the late 70ies; bought my first
digital camera in 1994 (many followed), and I went back from digital, as I
had enough from those "automatic-do-everything" and
"DOF-from-here-to-infinity" p&s cameras, that I used to shoot photographs
for the websites I create.

For my private stuff, I began to make film photographs with my old SLR gear
again, and re-enjoyed the optical quality, short DOF and the manual
handling. Through the Cameraquest website, I slipped into rangefinders
(have a Bessa L and a M6 meanwhile), and have never regretted those steps
(back to film, from SLR to RF).

A retired photographer has given me a complete darkroom equipment and I
enjoy making my b&w photos myself from A to Z. Certainly there is bit of
nostalgia with it, as everytime I open the fixer bottle, I smell my youth
again (midlife crisis?:-)

There are situations, where I would prefer a DSLR, as RF photography on
film has it's limits, too. Quick moving kids, sports, telelenses, macro,
autofocus, and so on. I could imagine buying a consumer DSLR one day, but
will certainly keep my film gear and continue to use it.

But as pro photographer, I would certainly use DSLR's mainly.
Didier