Subject: [Leica] digital transformation
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Apr 28 11:31:14 2005

I have in fact done just that, Brian - having had a LUGGER in the
mid-West send me a scan of a negative from which I produced three
different prints - and he had a Fuji lightjet print made - and we both
agreed that one of my prints and the Fuji were indistinguishable. I
believe that anyone who wants to waste the time in the archives will
find some exchanges about that print exchange.

But, frankly Brian, it will come as no shock to hear me say that I
really don't care one way or another whether anyone believes me or not.
I calls 'em as I sees 'em, even when what I'm calling about is the
equipment I've gotten gratis from Olympus.

Though I'm sure no one cares to remember it, when I was using the
quadtone inkjet system I never said that they were superior to wet
prints, nor did I ever say that they were the same as wet prints. In
fact, said repeatedly that the prints produced that way were NOT the
same as wet prints - I think they are as good as wet prints, but they
are, to anyone who knows wet prints, different - as in the difference
between oils and acrylics. Nor did I ever claim they were superior.
Similarly, I would never claim that this HP system is giving me prints
that look the same as fiber prints - they might on different paper, but
I've never seen it. It is, however, for less than $250, giving me prints
that look like RC custom prints.