Subject: [Leica] Re: digital transformation
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie Talbert)
Date: Thu Apr 28 13:17:23 2005

Hi all...I'm kinda new to this list and I don't "internet chat" much because
frankly...well it's just not my thing, but I had to respond to this post by
Don because it's been on my mind lately.

I was a U.S. Navy Photographer from 1968 to 1992 and had an extremely
varied and interesting photographic career (Arri to Zorki and just about
everything in-between)...and yes, I went to RIT for awhile, and yes I do
have "metol poisoning" from years in the soup, and yes I'll be a Leica
traditionalist to the end.

I dislike the term Digital "Photography".  Digital is such a quantum leap in
the
evolution of imagery acquisition/creation it should be given it's own space,
it's
own name, it's own discipline!  From 1725 till Digital, traditional
"photography"
has involved primarily a physical/chemical process, so let's drop the word
"photography" and call it  "IT or Digital Imagery" and those involved can be
Digital Imagers or Imagists...

I'll probably remain a photographer.

Montie Talbert CWO4, USN (Ret)
montoid@earthlink.net

P.S. What's was that about "Old dogs and New tricks?

>>So I guess what I am really wondering is, how many of us on the list are
somewhat nostalgic for film, or have genuinely embraced the digital
revolution?

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: digital transformation)