Subject: [Leica] digital transformation
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Apr 28 13:55:09 2005

Have often done the same, Tina, by scanning transparencies once for
highlights, once for shadows, then combining the two in Photoshop layers.

If I'm shooting on a tripod, I often bracket now both with film and digital
in order to use both shots in combination - sort of an "after the fact"
split neutral density filter.

Yes, a digital M that didn't do something stupid, like making you wind it,
would be really cool. My ideal would be to have the clarity of a *real*
rangefinder (glass - not a little LCD screen) with the alternative of a flip
& twist back LCD screen that you could also use to compose the shot. With
the Olympus C-8080, it's surprising how often I use that adjustable LCD to
give me a high or low angle on a shot that I could not get if looking
through the viewfinder. That, incidentally, is the trouble with D-SLR's -
you MUST look through the mirror, so you don't get the handling advantage
that even a cheap P&S digital gives you.

Gary Todoroff

It's amazing how much you can extend the dynamic range by "developing" the
RAW files first for the shadows, then for the highlights, and combining the
two.

I still want a digital M, too ;-)

Tina