Subject: [Leica] nostalgic for film
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Thu Apr 28 15:46:15 2005

I am not nostalgic for film per se -- but I am nostalgic for the feel
and responsiveness of film cameras, and for the darkroom printing
experience.

I embraced the digital revolution (not photography related) when I
started programming in 1962. I felt the same excitement when I wrote
my first computer program  (IBM 704, 8K word memory, 8K word magnetic
drum storage {1 word=36 bits, 32 bit words are for wimps, bytes are
for sissies}, filled a very large room) as I did when I first saw a
print emerging in a tray of developer when I was six years old in a
year before time. The magic of making images and of computers has
never left me. The fact that I can now combine my two passions is one
of the happiest accidents of my life -- despite my family's sometimes
contrary view on that subject.

Digital non-SLR cameras that I have used still come up short in the
"unobtrusiveness" space. They get in the way of, rather than support,
the photographic process.

Digital SLRs come closer to film SLRs, but the control configurations
still need refinement -- too menu menus, not enough direct access.

--
Clive
Pics: http://clive.smugmug.com

Replies: Reply from mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist) ([Leica] Friday For Sale List)