Subject: [Leica] Re:R digital back
From: director at ubi.edu (Lucien)
Date: Tue May 3 01:35:36 2005

Rick Dykstra wrote :

> The lack of TTL flash control is a big issue for me.  I'm often using
> flash with tiny subjects about 8 meters away.  Auto flash is no
> solution.  I'll have to use manual calculations, or if possible use
> the F mode to adjust the flash power, though this only works if the
> distance and aperture stay fixed.

Rick,

The R9 Digital Back will not work with TTL flash metering because of
the CCD  reflecting differently than a film, and will also not work
with "subject distance"  because distance is not transmitted by the
ROM.

It will only work in A-mode flash metering.

Fortunately, the selection of an aperture on the R9 is transmitted
automatically to the Metz  54MZ3 in flash A-mode.

> Not too happy about this being left out.  The other pro Digi bodies
> have TTL don't they?

The other pro Digi bodies are using TTL just before the picture is
taken via a pre-flash system. Not during the exposure.

The R8 and R9 were not designed to work with a pre-flash. It will not
be possible to add it later.

By the way, Nikon had to switch to the DX flash system (SB-28DX) for
the D1 series (and D100) and then to the i-TTL (SB-800) for the D2
series (and D70).

And Canon had to add the E-TTL II in its latest digital cameras to
improve flash results.

Lucien

Replies: Reply from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Re:R digital back)
Reply from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Re:R digital back)