Subject: [Leica] Digital: colour rendition and image quality
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Sat May 7 14:19:59 2005

Here in the small market area of Eureka, I did copy/repro work for a few
years to fill out the business a bit. Finally gave up, not because of
technical difficulties but because so few people were willing to pay the
price to deal with the technical difficulties. Good color workflow is hard.

For copy/repro, I used color charts, too, but mostly relied on a simple gray
card and a Photoshop color correction plug-in from Pictographics. Using
similar techniques to the old "Mitchell Color Calibrator" for color darkroom
adjustments, I got fairly consistent results (Does anyone remember Bob
Mitchell, a friendly fellow who was willing to discuss his process at length
over the phone? He died about five years ago, and I remember him fondly as
someone who helped me to understand darkroom color.)

I doubt you can ever get *every* color exactly right. Best technique is the
one that was often quoted for perfect slide duplication where no one could
tell the difference between original and copy - take two dups and throw away
the original!

Gary Todoroff
(Tree LUGger)