Subject: [Leica] digital camera question---thanks
From: rbrowne1 at mindspring.com (Robert Browne)
Date: Tue May 10 10:48:30 2005

Bill,

I know that this does not fulfill your entire list of requests but you
may wish to check out the new Fujifilm FinePix Z1. I've been using one
for the past couple of days and it is a very nicely designed 5.1 mp
compact camera. No conventional viewfinder but it does have a 2.5" LCD
display. Both color and B&W mode. 3X zoom (equivalent to 36-108 mm on
35mm camera). You can also switch between 4:3 and 3:2 aspect ratio.
What attracted me is the compact size (90 x 55 x 18mm), the quick
start-up time of .6 sec. and shutter lag of only .01 sec. when focus is
locked on.

The Z1 is scheduled to be released in the US some time in June but J&R
Music in NYC just got some in a few days ago.

The only on-line review (of sorts) so far is at:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/review/34/page_1.html

Robert Browne

Bill Smith  wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their input--my experience streetshooting w/ my
3yr. old, Fuji 6X zoom is poor--that's why I ask the question. The
shutter speed and focus are far too slow. No B&W capability and 35mm
focal length equivalent. Also too big to be discrete.

Right now perhaps the new Ricoh Caplio RX fits the bill best.

MAYBE someone is listening and will produce a 15 or 20 or 25mm fixed
(prime) lens, black, compact w/ large LCD, quiet/ high shutter speed
(1/ 2000 or plus) and B&W/ color capability. That would be ideal in my
book for a "primo streetshooter" IF technically possible.

Any comments on my wishlist of features?

Bill