Subject: [Leica] Summaron eyes
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu May 12 15:54:51 2005

At 3:05 PM -0700 5/12/05, Der Eiserne Reiter wrote:

>I recently saw a picture of Summaron/M3 eyes, detached from the lens.
>>From the photo, the bayonet mount looked very similar to an LTM/M
>adapter. Therefore my question: is it possible to use the
>eyes to mount any screw mount lens to an M camera, in other words,
>is this an M39 mount with the correct flange distance ? The idea
>would be to use it to mount a 24mm lens to an M2, for example.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Roland.
>

>FeRider (R.)

I don't quite get all of that, but the quick answer is NO in any case. :-)

Some early M lenses were screw mount lenses that Leitz put adapters
on and fixed them with screw, so some were actually 'adapted' lenses.

All this has nothing to do with the goggles. The goggles are M3
specific; goggled 35mm lenses can be used with any M camera but are
only necessary with the M3, and should not be removed in use with any
camera as focussing will be off at all distances but infinity, and
will bring up the 50mm frame lines.

And... what 24mm screw thread lens are you intending to use on an M?

In any case, get one of the screw thread to M adapters; decent ones
are available new from cameraquest.com.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design