Subject: [Leica] Black and White Printing
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Mon May 16 09:29:48 2005

B.D., you're right about the HP 8750's enhanced potential for better color
prints--the ninth ink is color. I was just considering b&w output.

When I first heard about the 8750, I thought I'd have to snatch one as soon
as it came out. Now, I'm not so sure. I'm certainly happy with the b&w and
color output of my 8450, but its wanton ink consumption of HP 100 gray ink
cartridges at $20+ per pop to grind out max-size 8.5" x 11" prints makes me
wonder how many 13" x 19" b&w prints I'd get per ink cart. Or, perhaps, how
many carts it'd take to print a 13" x 19".

In HP's favor, it does denote the HP 100 photo gray ink cart as plain, old
"gray," not the trying-to-be-definitive-and-still-laughably-failing
"light-light black" of Epson. Will ensuing Epson printers feature an even
greater number of ink tanks with the attendant list of names?
"Not-quite-as-black-as-ace-of-spades black." "Midnight-at-the-oasis black."
"Quadroon black." "Lawyeresque-gray-area black."

-Chris Lawson