Subject: [Leica] PAW 20 Millenium Bridge and St. Paul's
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue May 17 14:53:54 2005

pswango@att.net wrote:

> Peter Dzwig wrote:
>
> "London's controversial Millenium Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral from an
> unusual
> angle
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album164/MilleniumBridge200505";
>
> Nice shot, Peter.  Why is the bridge controversial?  Looks terrific to me.
>  Too modern?

The bridge, the first wholly new bridge to be put up in this part of London
for
about a hundred and something years, is a purely foot bridge. Designed using
all
the latest technology and the very best engineering practice(?), I think by
Foster it opened for the Millenium. When the crowds swarmed over it it
started
to oscillate in a most unpleasant way and had to be closed for (if I
remember
right) 18 months.

The Press of course kicked up a fuss, hence "controversial".

It is now open, very safe apparently and a great link between Bankside and
the
Tate Modern, where the photos were taken, and the City of London around
St.Paul's.

Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Norman's Wibbly-Wobbly Millenium Bridge)