Subject: [Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri May 20 21:58:58 2005

Ted,

For once I will disagree with your approach and I have an example to
illustrate it.

When I first started shooting digital last summer, I also shot JPEGs the
first couple of weeks. But then I had an experience that made me
reconsider. I posted this picture among my PAWs:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_31alt1.jpg

After some feedback from the list, I decided that it would work better
in B&W and converted it. On the screen it is acceptable. But when I
tried to print it--forget it! Doing the conversion on a JPEG file
resulted in unacceptable artifacts, and no amount of Photoshop wizardry
(or at least wizardry that I am capable of) could remove them completely.

Since that week I have shot only RAW. Yes, it ads an extra step to the
workflow, but I do not drive myself crazy with it. All my corrections
are very basic, just move the shadows and highlights controls in the RAW
converter as needed (and I use PS CS's converter, not some specialized
tool), adjust colour temperature if there is a cast, and click on OK. I
do not come back from places with thousands of pictures; my recent trip
to France and Denmark resulted in around 200 images, so the quantity was
manageable. I sat and converted them to TIFF while watching TV on a
Sunday afternoon.

Shooting JPEGs is like making a good print and throwing away the negative.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands