Subject: [Leica] Re: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Sat May 21 07:35:22 2005

>I think what happens with many people doing digital is, they drive
>themselves crazy with over work by fiddling every picture to death trying
>make it better. Raw? Hell that's a quick way to death! Shoot everything
>JPEG
>and quick is far better and much easier on ones work staring at the screen!

Ted

You're not alone... When I shoot for a requested job I shot literally
thousands pictures. A book is going to be published about "Urban statues
in Bilbao in XIX and XX centuries" where the text is written down by a
historian while I did the pictures some months ago. I cannot imagine
working with thousands pictures in RAW. A Photoshop action makes auto
levels for correcting metering mistakes and only in some occasions some
contrast or other major defect is corrected. I try to shot the best
picture from, the starting point and not make confidence in the
Photoshop capabilities however these are welcome. Besides the industrial
printing guys do not love working with the huge TIFF files produced by
My 1ds cameras and prefer JPGs smaller ones. Men -or women- in charge of
selecting the right images from the several I shot of every statue have
not  PCs able of viewing quickly big files. In fact in my first work
-shot in RAW some years ago- they couldn't see nothing at all.

Quite different thing, I wonder, is shooting not so many pictures with
the only purpose of getting artistic images. You can then shoot RAW just
for getting the ultimate quality of every image. Every day I more and
more believe, in images as in equipment, that the best is enemy of the good.

Warm regards

Felix