Subject: [Leica] Re: Now RAW vs JPEG
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Mon May 23 03:09:51 2005

>My issue is with proprietary RAW formats e.g. Canon's or Nikon's or
>Minolta's etc etc. because they are likely to change over time and
>there might not be software available to deal with these formats in
>the future.

So true that I've found, going from EOS 1ds MkI to MK2, that RAW changed
from CR to CR2 and have forced me to update from Photoshop CS to CS2 and
Capture One to last 3.7 in order just have a look to the picture -I love
not Canon software-. Other reason for shooting  JPG unless the final
destination of the pictures is going to bigger pictures than 50x60cm. I
can modify -probably in a lesser degree than RAW- my jpg concerning
contrast, sharpness, etc... and the main issue is the dynamic range
which is noticeable better in RAW. Color rendition is different in RAW
than in JPG so this is another reason for shooting RAW when color
accuracy is compulsory -when I'm shooting paintings or drapes- but I
believe that a right use of a good colorimeter specially in artificial
light and the right setting of corresponding Kelsen degrees in the
camera WB is by far more important than color  space accuracy.

Ted, nothing beats the experience and a man with such photographic
career like you may still do essays of pictures in RAW and in JPG.
Perhaps, only perhaps, you'll discover that your excellent eye is much
more important than so many technological issues.

Warm regards

Felix