Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon May 23 08:04:43 2005

Scott,
I use a 20D (and a 300D)with the following R lenses, 21/4, 28/2.8, 35/2,
50/2.8, 100mm Macro Elmar, 250/4 Telyt. No problems at all, though I
find it difficult to focus the wide angles (probably an eye problem).
Excellent results with Zeiss (Contax/Yashica) lenses too, 50/1,4 and
135/2.8.
I have a couple of Canon EF and EF-S lenses and find them adequate
considering that I paid very little for them (EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-135mm IS)

So far there is a noticeable difference with both R and CY lenses, with
the exception of the 100mm, the Leica wide angles deliver much crisper
results than the Canons I've tried. I have heard, but not seen yet, that
the L series Canon stuff is very high quality.
The Zeiss 50mm and a Yashica 55mm Macro are also exceptionally good
lenses, the 135mm Zeiss is a classic lens anyway.
No mirror hang-ups, or any other problems, with any of these lenses on a
20D, a 300D or even on 500N (film) body.

Cheers
Douglas

BTW I use Novoflex R/EOS and Huppert CY/EOS adapters, a bit expensive
but a lovely bit of precision engineering, both of them.

Just for fun : I've now had the following lens marques on the 20D :
Leica, Pentacon,Zeiss (West)CY, Zeiss(East)M42,Yashica M42 and CY,
Pentax M42, Novoflex, Sigma M42, Tamron, Fujica, a few no-name bits of
glass and even Canon.

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re:Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies)