Subject: [Leica] a rock, a tree, and grandma
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon May 23 21:56:20 2005

Eric,

Looking at your "grandma" histogram, it is pretty clear what is going
on. Either the negative itself is vastly overexposed, or you
"overexposed" at the scanning stage. I do not know what scanning
software you use, but fore example in Vuescan you can easily rectify
some of this by adjusting the Gamma parameter until the histogram is not
clipped. If the film is overexposed, there is of course only so much you
do--it is impossible to get detail where there is none on the film--but
you can still do better than the histogram indicates.

I do not believe that this has anything to do with PC vs. Mac
differences. A clipped histogram is a clipped histogram regardless of
the system, especially when it is as severe as is the case with this image.

Cheers,
Nathan