Subject: [Leica] Leica's demise NOT
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue May 24 22:39:52 2005

On 5/24/05 1:33 PM, "Lawrence Zeitlin" <lrzeitlin@aol.com> typed:

> <<Ten years down the line, it will come full circle. People will be
> so choked with digital photography that they won?t be able to take it
> anymore. They will turn to film again.>>
>
> ======
>
> That's what they said about tintypes too. No doubt film will always
> exist as a retro art form. We still use oil emulsion paints spread on
> canvas by the hairs of some unfortunate animal. But in ten years graphic
> arts will have so wholly embraced digital techniques that film will be
> regarded much as we regard wet collodin today.
>
> As far as Leica's demise, it can exist as a boutique camera maker
> supplying the collector's market. Prices will skyrocket from their
> current elevation into the stratosphere. But there will be a market.
> Ferrari and Maserati still sell cars to well heeled death defiers. More
> likely, if the company fails to raise needed capital, the name will be
> sold to an Asian camera conglomerate. Think Contax, Voightlander,
> Exacta, etc. Perhaps then we will have 21st century Leicas.
>
> Larry Z

Gee Larry Z you're just a bundle of joy tonight!
Its fun to start treads on the Leica users group isn't it?!
The thread you are responding to here was called
FOR THE JOY OF LEICA
A thread I started yesterday from an article of same title I found which
came out yesterday. The quote you quoted anonymously was my own writing on
that thread.
But you've responded to that thread buy starting your own!
LEICA'S DEMISE
Kind of the opposite in tone somehow I'm not sure!
I had to quickly check to make sure that if Leica had really demised or not!
I was happy to find out it's still here!
Making the rumors of it's demise be slightly exaggerated to repeat a clich?!
These limits you've put on it's existence are certainly grim!
Worse then death if you ask me! Death equaling Demise from what I can tell.

I just have the general impression that people who actively use Leica gear
and just don't have them parked on a shelf as they gleefully play with their
digital point and shoots have a more positive view of the future of Leica.
For the obvious reason that they just know directly how useful the stuff is.
To produce images.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon