Subject: [Leica] VW engine
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sat May 28 07:24:36 2005

The 356 heads had an angled exhaust valve for a, fashionable at the
time, semi-hemispherical combustion chamber. Now we know that the
larger combustion areas of the hemi engines are not as efficient as
narrow angle heads. So  VW engines can be made more powerful than 356
engines (much cheaper too!).

Hemi heads require dual plugging to keep timing advance to a minimum.
One of my personal projects is a  Ducati single (80 degree included
angle) and I just had the head "breathed upon" and dual plugged. You
can knock back its maximum advance 5 degrees after dual plugging.
Helps to keep the aircooled engine running cooler.

Right now at work I am doing up a stock 914 1700 70 hp engine into a
2270 160 hp fully streetable engine. Heck, it is even considered to
be a bit mild compared to some of the options out there. Not cheap
mind you.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from masonster at gmail.com (David Mason) ([Leica] VW engine)