Subject: [Leica] 90mm M Lenses: Which is Most Resistant to Flare & Reflection?
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sun May 29 07:22:24 2005

I have only used three 90s: the 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M "thin" version,
the current 90/2.8 Elmarit-M and the current 90/2 APO-Summicron Asph.

Both the current lenses are tack sharp wide open with strong
resistance to flare. Very impressive lenses fully useable at any
aperture with no compromise except for depth of field. I would highly
recommend both of them but particularly the Summicron if you find
yourself shooting indoors much.

The Tele-Elmarit-M is a mixed bag. At the very least performance can
vary considerably from sample to sample. Many complaints of internal
fogging which is impossible to fix. Check out any lens carefully
before you buy. Mine was clear and clean with performance typical for
a long focus lens of the day: mostly pretty sharp except for
noticeably softening when focused wide open and close. Unfortunately
mine had a propensity to flare at the least provocation. Heck a
bright blue sky in the frame, never-mind an actual point light
source, would cause it to flare: very, very, very annoying. Others
say their samples are fine; and, the person I sold mine to,
inexpensively with full disclose and right of return, was happy with
it. Go figure.

John Collier