Subject: [Leica] Oscar Peterson
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Mon May 30 13:23:11 2005

Oscar Peterson plays a B?sendorfer, not a Baldwin. He's featured in their
advertising.

Horowitz piano had its hammers incredibly hardened. Anyone playing it but
him would sound awful.

Brendl has the hammers on his pianos turned to mush (softened) and then he
pounds. Barenboim has his piano treated as well. Can't say I like the sound
he produces. Horowitz, however, was a master of tone, shading, expression.
His last CD (the one with the transciption of Wagner's Tristan und Isolde)
shows this side of him well. Only he could make that piano sound
extraordinary. His special technician, Franz Mohr, has many stories to tell
about how Horowitz liked his piano.

Serkin used a Steinway, but while I like the way he plays,I don't think his
piano sounds very good. His playing is special, but not piano.

Glen Gould played a Steinway, but then switched. Was it a Yamahan he went to
or Baldwin. Ich kann mich nicht richtig entsinnen.

Doug Nygren