Subject: [Leica] Computer costs included
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue May 31 21:23:14 2005

Doug,

What you are basically describing is an bookkeeping approach, which
tries to allocate all costs fully. What I am describing is an economic
approach (which I, like all economists, believe is the correct one for
decision-making) which says that when considering whether to engage in a
new activity, one looks at only the *incremental* costs and benefits of
that activity. So, in my case, the only such costs related to digital
photography include the digital camera and a few CF cards, and the card
reader for the computer. The computer itself I already had, so that cost
is not incremental, and neither is the cost of the office furnishings in
my home office where that computer resides.

Now, if I were to write grant applications or deduct the cost of my home
office on my tax return etc., then of course I would throw in everything
I possibly could, but from the point of view of economic analysis those
costs are totally irrelevant since they would be incurred either way.

Nathan