Subject: [Leica] First signing on in years..... Piano Sonatas and rant.....
From: dfeingold at hotmail.com (david feingold)
Date: Tue May 31 21:44:46 2005

It has been years since I have posted here but I am signing on. For the past
few years I have "lurked" through the archives. I must admit my blood
pressure soared when I read that Marc Small detests all piano Sonatas. I
read the rant on California with amusement, but that's another topic.

So without alienating myself too quickly I feel compelled to chime in here.
I would never suggest that music is any more universal  than California is.
People from a given culture may have difficulty truly experiencing and
understanding or feeling the art of another culture, or for that matter the
culture of another foreign place. That is dimminishing in today's "flat"
world.....drat! tougher to be opinionated. Nonetheless, the sonata-allegro
form is a building block that parallels development of character in western
literature. What the ternary structure itself facilitates for the composer
in terms of invention, is compatible with what happened in with the
novel....and so on. Only in America do we continually re-invent the
wheel.....blues notwithstanding, that's good s...stuff

I've been to Roanoke and even have family in Pulaski. My sense is most
people there would feel very uncomfortable in California. However to the
extent that the sonata-allegro form evolved in western civilization, I would
think that one so well versed in Zeiss lenses would also enjoy taking the
time to learn about "our" own musical evolution and culture especially those
contributions from Germany. True many red-blooded Americans proudly turn-off
to things European but in this gorup? I don't think so.

Marc, I respectfully urge to you get a hold of the Samuel Barber Sonata for
starters and crank it. If that music doesn't hit you right in the
chest.....I won't sign off this list but I'm not sure I can help either. I
also recommend that you read about sonata-allegro form. It really is bigger
than the music, and a grasp of it may even eventually inform your
photography. If  the Barber works for you perhaps go back and give Mozart
another try, say the c minor Fantasy (forget the K listing but the big one,
he worte a couple in c minor) and work through to Beethoven and Schubert.
The folk there in Roanoke will respect you more when they hear strains of
the Hammerklavier emanating from your stereo.

Replies: Reply from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small) ([Leica] First signing on in years..... Piano Sonatas and rant.....)