Subject: [Leica] First signing on in years..... Piano Sonatas and rant.....
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue May 31 22:27:30 2005

Thank you for your thoughts.  I understood almost nought of your posting, I
fear.  I am afraid that I haven't a clue as to what a ternary might be.  I
do know, however, that Blue Grass is the only real USian music form;  while
it grew from Gaelic and African roots, it is as USian development to its
core.

Sonatas are boring.  If Mozart couldn't do an interesting one, then I do
not believe that anyone elsse could do better.  And certainly not Samuel
<gag-gag-gag> Barber, a composer whose works have not so far, and which
will almost certainly never, blacken my personal collection.

You said, "[T]he folk there in Roanoke will respect you more when they hear
strains of the Hammerklavier emanating from your stereo".  Wow, but I think
not.  The folks in my neighborhood are astounded that I listen to NPR and
that my personal taste in music runs to baroque and Classical music.  Given
their adherence to the banjo, I doubt that my neighbors would find piano
sonatas any more appealing than an oboe concerto.

If you have kin in Pulaski, pray, come visit the next time that you are in
the area, and we can hoist a Lagavulin together.  I would find my life
honored by the meeting of you.  I promise to play piano concerti, which I
find more genial and interesting.

Best

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu