Subject: [Leica] DMR RAW files for download, NOW: Fringing.
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Jun 3 04:20:05 2005

Hello Mikiro,
try auto colour correction on the dragonfly picture and see if it shifts
to blue, it did when I ran it in PS Elements 3.0.

I agree about the quality, I think it resembles more the shots from the
Olympus P&S digicamera my wife uses more than what I'm used to getting
from a Canon 20D or 300D. Are the images losing something during
transfer from the linked site?

I've just compared a few parameters between 20D and DMR files

DNG file size 19.4MB converts to TIFF 28.7 MB
CR2 file size  8.4MB converts to TIFF 23.4 MB

Unless my way of thinking is terribly wrong I make that a compression
factor of 1.48 for DNG and 2.8 for CR2, so you would be getting a lot
more CR2 files on your storage card.
The relative sizes are, at 240 dpi
DMR 3876x2584        Canon 20D 3504x2336  pixels
DMR 41.02x27.35cm    Canon 20D 37.08x24.72cm  print size at 240dpi

Both files do have an aspect ratio of 1,5 (2:3 format) so nothing has
been cropped here. The Leica file is in effect 1.2 times larger than the
Canon file, so somebody is being not quite accurate with the factors
1,37 and 1,6 quoted for the crop factors, this should work out as 1.16

So in non-mathematical language the full resolution print size advantage
  you get with a Leica DMR file is 20%, sounds quite reasonable until
you see that the print is then only 3.9cm longer (1.55 inches) and 2.6cm
higher (1.03inches) at the same resolution of 240dpi.

Probably all a waste of time , but somebody may find the figures
interesting.
Cheers
Douglas