Subject: [Leica] Too much inventory
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Jun 3 18:09:39 2005

Not so long ago, a couple of weeks, the boss of Hermes was quoted in the
press as saying that Hermes would stick with Leica as long as the
re-financing plan  would be accepted by the remaining shareholders.
But what if nobody wants the shares at 1,70 a throw, maybe they will
after all get one of the axe-men form the automotive industry to sort it
out, Piech, Ignazio Lopez, Hartz, lets wait and see. They could do a lot
worse than getting Lothar Sp?th (retired from Jenoptik) to join the board.

I think the big shake up will leave Solms as a pure and simple final
assembly, and QA/QC, shop with components being made under Leica
supervision, probably not in Korea or China but most likely in the Czech
Republic, or maybe Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania or any other of the former
Eastern Bloc countries.
This is the only way to ensure that the products become cheaper but can
still be labeled "Made in Germany". The costs of running production
units outside Germany are fully tax deductible too.
The logistics of the matter becomes a simple matter of a few hours
driving a truck over the border and up to Solms.
I also think that repair and service will be outsourced to one of the
many small businesses in former East Germany, a whole load of companies
already run their service departments like that.
e.g. Fujitsu-Siemens.
I expect that the Portugese factory will carry on making sub-assemblies
as before the shake-up.
Douglas