Subject: [LEICA] The Joys of an M
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jun 4 13:06:55 2005

On 6/4/05 10:24 AM, "leo" <leowesson@charter.net> typed:

> Nathan,
>
> I was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago and happened to walk into
> Glazers Camera looking for used m lenses.  They just happened to have
> gotten in a few days before that 4 RD1 bodies.  Hmmm...I shot for
> awhile with one of them and then left my credit cards and m6 at the
> counter and took a walk with it.  Then I downloaded the files at one
> of the demo workstations and had a look.  My observations:  none of
> the feared focus problems were evident.  Framing with a 28 was kind
> of off, due it part I would guess, to my glasses.  I liked the dial
> on the top that told me everything that I needed to know about how
> the camera was set.
> The files looked good.  Seemed kind of funny and almost unnatural to
> have to cock the shutter on a digital.  The shutter sounds a bit
> clunky as compared to the click of an m.  It did feel really good to
> be using my m lenses on a digital body.  Much to my surprise, I
> really liked the camera and went home with one.  I have been shooting
> with it now for a few weeks and I still don't feel totally at ease
> with it, but I am still liking it.  It does feel really good to be
> able to use all of my glass now.  Folks comment on how expensive the
> RD1 body is, buy my rational is that it costs about what a new M body
> costs, and then throw in the money I wouldn't be loosing by selling
> my m stuff...
> I don't own a 20d so I can't comment on comparative file quality, but
> as compared to a D70, the epson files look a lot better to me.  Maybe
> it's the glass and not the file, but I prefer the Epson now over the
> D70 (which is in the shop due to a 9 ft gravity attack).
>
> Leo

I find this news of Glazers in Seattle a camera store I've been to and done
business with getting in four R1D1's and Leos experience with it the most
encouraging news as to Leica's immediate prospects.
Leica M glass is not digitally lost at sea. There are life rafts floating
around for people who can dog paddle a few feet to grab.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/