Subject: [Leica] In the Matter of the 75 Summicroncron But Lacking a Fugue on Leica Prices
From: summicron at bellsouth.net (Frank F. Farmer)
Date: Mon Jun 6 17:49:20 2005

Buzz,

You are correct about the focusing distance of the 'lux.  I was
mistaken about that.  However, my two perceived differences between the
'lux and the 'cron were sufficient to make me take a look, even if one
turned out to be a mistake.  The first was the idea that it focused
closer (allowing the 90mm type framing if desired) than the 'lux.  Of
course, that wasn't the case but it was still good enough to get me to
take a look.  The second was that the 'cron is significantly smaller
than the 'lux.  This one happens to be true.  I wasn't willing to haul
the latter piece of glass around because it, in my opinion, threw off
the balance of the camera that I'm used to.  The diminished value of
the 75mm focal length that I previously held had nothing to do with the
perspective, which I like.  It had more to do with the size and weight
of the 'lux.  Then again, at these prices, one should be very certain
they like and appreciate the tool they are purchasing.

You also make a good point to note that one should not purchase a lens
based on feel and finish of the demo.  Of course, Central Camera
doesn't really have much demo Leica equipment.  This one was removed
from the top shelf and unboxed for my inspection, only to be replaced
when I was finished.  I was just pleased to find that it did not have
the loose aperture ring problem that I've heard a couple of reports
about with this and the new 50 'lux asph.

All this said, at close to $2,700.00, I don't know that I'm going to be
taking the plunge into the 75 'cron pool just yet, if ever.  :-(.  It
is, as you say, and eccentric focal length.

Thanks for the advice though.

Frank

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] In the Matter of the 75 Summicroncron But Lacking a Fugue on Leica Prices)