Subject: [Leica] In the Matter of the 75 Summicroncron But Lacking a Fugue on Leica Prices
From: buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner)
Date: Mon Jun 6 13:43:48 2005

While others may swing off into a fugue on Leica prices, let me address
your other observations.  Regarding the 75mm Summicron...

I can't speak for all of them, but my 75mm Summilux focuses down to
about .75 meters.  Of course, focusing this lens at that close distance
is quite a challenge, but a challenge one easily meets with experience.
You are correct in observing that the 75mm Summilux obtrudes into the
frame lines, but that is something to which one grows accustomed..."its
a Leica thing, get used to it!"

That said, one must realize that 75mm is an eccentric focal length for a
35mm camera.  You should only consider a 75mm lens if it is a focal
length that compliments your style of photography.  I use my 75 Summilux
more than any other lens because it has a framing, perspective, depth of
field, and field separation which express my vision.  Most of all, I
just plain like the image quality that the lens produces when the parts
are summed.

You should not purchase a 75mm Summicron or Summilux based upon the feel
and finish of a demonstration lens.  Indeed, at these prices, you
shouldn't purchase any Leica lens based upon how it feels in the show
room.  I would wager that if one "[N]ever really [put] much value in the
75mm focal length," a smaller, lighter, aspherical expression of the
lens isn't going to much change one's general impression of the focal
length.  My advice is first to determine if you NEED a 75mm lens and, if
the answer is, "Yes," then to consider which of the two best suits your
vision, needs, wallet, and orthopoedic resiliency.

        Buzz Hausner