Subject: [Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Jun 7 05:07:18 2005

At 09:58 PM 6/6/2005, you wrote:

>"Lie" and "lay" give me problems on occasion, and they shouldn't, as I have
>a working knowledge of Old and Middle English and of the Indo-European
>which came before.  My mother and father never had a problem with them, and
>the difference is in the English teachers they had in school.
>
>Marc

I find them misused in the newspaper almost daily.  It's not that
hard!  Lie means to rest or recline.  Lay means to put or place.
Today I lie on the bed, yesterday I lay on the bed, I have lain on the bed
many times.
Today I lay the Leica on the table, yesterday I laid the Leica on the
table, I have laid the Leica on the table many times.
My mother used to tell me that you can't lay unless you are a chicken.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography)