Subject: [Leica] Re: Voigtländer 40/1.4 (was Leica prices)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jun 7 17:55:24 2005

On 6/7/05 2:11 PM, "John O. Newell" <john.o.newell@comcast.net> typed:

>> it's about my
>> favorite lens. I use it all the time. More than my 50 and more than my 35.
>
> Mark, why?
>
> Size?
> Image quality?
> Other?
>
> Interested in why it's become such a strong favorite for you.  No rocket
> science reasons required. ;-)
>
> John Newell

Because a 50 as much as I love them require a lot of concentration or your
miss your focus.
On the other hand a 35 is kind of for me: Sloppy. It's too point and shoot.

A 40 on the other hand is a nice compromise between the formality of the 50
but with the giving you a break on the focus and DOF of the 35.
It's a loose 50.

And it's a super compact almost pancake light weight lens which makes my
camera a pleasure to carry around for hours to a full day.
No unwieldy lens shade of my 50 Summicron flying into the highway.
No heaviness of my 35 apish Summicron. It's just heavy that's all that lens.

And I like using the finder on the hot shoe. I'll be getting such finders
for every focal length I've got. Probably use them often. Love that clean
view.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon