Subject: [Leica] RE: Horses & Rider
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jun 8 09:13:11 2005

Jim Christie offered:

>> The Horses & Rider was one of those quick take action type of shots. Just
>> as I arrived at this location to take pictures of the landscape, along
>> came this rider leading a horse. I barely had time to get my camera out
>> and ready, but I got it done and I too like the shot. <<

Hi Jim,
Sorry I missed the picture posted.  However, what I did pick-up was your
comment....

>>I barely had time to get my camera out and ready, <<<<<

Without knowing whether you're a pro or a fun for life shooter, please take
my comment as a "suggestion from an old pro." Thanks.

In the early days as a professional, although when I look back on those
times it really was an over excited in-experienced news photographer.;-) I
made all kinds of mistakes that only doing it and screwing-up does one learn
about "camera ready!" ;-) Unless someone gives you a tip.

Cause I've been caught and missed a picture or two simply because "I didn't
have the camera out, loaded and ready to go!" Lying on the floor of the car.
No lens cap or other concerns of never ready case, film, ASA etc., pick it
up and shoot almost that fast.

So this is just a passing thought for the next time just in case. I can
never figure out why folks go out with a camera and don't have it loaded and
immediately ready to shoot in a heart beat.

No offence intended.
ted