Subject: [Leica] OT: famous female Leica photographers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jun 11 12:26:25 2005

On 6/11/05 11:58 AM, "Timothy Atherton" <tim@kairosphoto.com> typed:

>>> She was also badly injured - in Beirut I think it was
>>
>> When all the other photographers were searching for shelter, there was
>> one photographer standing and shooting, Catherine Leroy. She's a star
>> in the PJ world allright!
>>
>> All the best from the south of France!
>>
>> Tarek
>
> PS - she is also featured in Peter Howe's book "Shooting Under Fire"
>
> One fairly unique aspect of her Vietnam work is photogorahs of North
> Vietnamese troops in action in Hue as a result of being "captured" or at
> least detained by the NVA - which images were featured on the cover of
> Life,
> as well as the usual US operations
>
> Her site is here
>
> http://www.pieceuniquegallery.com/leroy/cl_gallery.html
>
> http://www.pieceuniquegallery.com/leroy/cl_bio.html

Well this is a turn around for me.
Three minutes ago I was typing "Is she still alive"?

Now I'm reading her print prices for images which seem priceless.
$165 for an 8x10!!!!>!?

"?Archival Pictopia Prints are true photographic prints that are the result
of the very finest tradition and craft of fine-art photography combined with
state of the art imaging technologies. The prints are made in color and
black and white on Fuji Crystal Archive? paper using traditional silver
halide chemistry. In contrast with any prints made from ink jet or
lithography, Pictopia prints are real continuous tone photographs with no
dots. Subtle gradations are represented smoothly and naturally in image
tones that can be extraordinarily deep and rich. At the same time sharp
detail is preserved, even in our largest prints when closely inspected.
Pictopia?s revolutionary proprietary technologies include resolution
enhancement, quality controls, and unique equipment which yields sharper
exposures than possible with any enlarger. Archival Pictopia Prints are
rated at up to 60 to 70 years of display life under standard, fully
illuminated gallery or home lighting. Altogether, Pictopia has achieved a
level of quality and economy that produce fine-art prints of lasting value
?Copyright ? Piece Unique Gallery 2002 Privacy Policy
"

So these are not inkjets, not darkroom RC's but black and white negs printed
using a color process involving digital stuff but ending up on darkroom
paper. Color darkroom paper.
A true mix of prejudices and esthetics on the whole output thing as far as I
go.
What might seem strange to some people is a pet peeve I've got coming from
even some of the greats in photography in their marketing or selling of
their prints.
The pricing in terms of size.
$165 for an 8x10 print
$265 for an 11x14!
So for 2 bucks more paper and processing you pay a hundred bucks!
Why?
Because if you've got $265 to spend they're giving you an opportunity to
spend it!
$370 for a 16x20.
Same reason.
And $465 for a 20x24
I think this cheapens the work unnecessarily.
I think a print from a photographers work should bear a certain price.
And the photographer should feel their work should be a certain size for the
most part in most cases.
Other size variations if there are any should be of a similar price to the
main price.
This sounds and is presumptuous but if I was her manager like Ansel Adams
had one I'd have her selling her prints as such:

$360 for an 8x10 print
$365 for an 11x14
$375 for a 16x20.
$400 for a 20x24

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] digital prints on real photo paper (was: famous female Leica photographers))
Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT: famous female Leica photographers)
Reply from tim at KairosPhoto.com (Timothy Atherton) ([Leica] OT: famous female Leica photographers)